When you buy your first mac, the vast number of buttons can be overwhelming. To make things even more complicated, the function keys are completely different from other computers, and many of the features have been combined into one key. It’s easy to feel like you’re missing out on an important feature that everyone else knows about, but don’t worry — In this article, we talked about various ways to Print Screen on Mac.
How to Take a Screenshot on a Mac?
To capture the entire screen along with the taskbar and all the details on the screen, follow the simple procedure:
- Press the “Command” key.
- Along with the Command key, press the “Shift” key and numeric “3” key.
- This will save the screenshot of the entire screen on the user’s desktop in “PNG” format.
How to Print Screen on a Selected Area?
To print screen on Mac of the selected area or region, follow the simple procedures mentioned below:
- Press together Command + Shift + 4. You may leave the keys when you see the crosshair.
- Now, you may leave the keys when you see the crosshair.
- Select the region you want to capture and then release the mouse button.
- The selected area will be captured and saved in PNG format on the desktop by default.
How to Capture a Specific Window of the Screen?
- Press together Command + Shift + 4.
- Leave the keys when you get the selection cursor.
- Now, press the Space bar once.
- The cursor would turn to a camera icon.
- Press the spacebar and toggle to the window you want to capture.
- Then click on the “Save” button.
- The image will be saved to the desktop in PNG format by default.
How to Take a Scrolling Screenshot on a Mac?
There are a few steps to follow to complete the scrolling screenshot.
- Open the page you intend to capture.
- Simultaneously press Command + Shift + 5.
- A screen record toolbar will emerge at the bottom of your screen.
- On the menu bar, click the Record Entire Screen button.
- A camera icon will appear – click it anywhere on the screen.
- Scroll through the entire document/screen you are capturing.
- Simultaneously click Command + Shift + 5 again.
- The same menu bar will pop up; click the Stop Screen Recording Button.
How to Capture the Touch Bar of the Screen?
This is one of the complementary features available on Mac and allows the user to take a screenshot of the touch bar.
- Press the “Shift” key.
- Press the “Command” key and then press the numeric “6” key.
- This will capture your touch bar’s image and save it on the desktop in PNG format.
Change keyboard shortcuts to take screenshots on Mac
The default keys are great. However, you may modify them to any key you like. For this:
- Click on the Apple icon at the far left corner of the main menu bar on your Mac.
- Choose System Preferences.
- Now, click on Keyboard → Shortcuts.
- Click Screen Shots on the left pane of the window.
- Select a shortcut and then press the enter key.
- Now, press the desired new key or multiple keys combination.
- Click the red “x” button. Your keyboard shortcut will be saved!
How To Change The Format Of Screenshot?
By default, the screenshots are saved in the PNG format, but they can be saved in other formats too. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Press “Command” and “Space” to open Spotlight.
- Now, type “Terminal” and select “Terminal”.
- Type the below code in Terminal.
“defaults write com.apple.screencapture type”
- To change the file in the desired format (JPG, TIFF, GIF, PDF, PNG), type the name of the format in front of the code (in this case ‘JPG’) and then hit “Enter”.