Google Maps is a web-based service that provides detailed information about geographic areas and sites around the world. Which can be used to navigate to different destinations. Google Maps was founded in 2005 and is a web mapping service that provides satellite imagery, 360-degree panoramic street view and is available on both mobile devices and desktops.
It was developed as a C++ desktop program at Where 2 Technologies, which was acquired by Google in October 2004, which later converted it into a web application. Features have often been added to the service as a result of in-house development and through acquisitions by companies that have brought in capabilities such as geospatial data visualization.
Computersolve Explains Google Maps Directions
Google Maps is a web-based service that provides detailed information about geographic areas and sites around the world. In addition to the traditional road map, Google Maps offers aerial and satellite views of many places. In some cities, Google Maps offers a street view that includes pictures of the vehicles taken. And its products vary from software like Google apps and Google search engine to hardware like Google Pixel phones, and Google Home and many more, today we are going to explore one of the most used Google apps that There is Google Maps. Google Maps is a web mapping service developed by Google, and it provides everything you need in a 21st century map, from satellite mapping to route planning, real-time traffic conditions and 360° Street View photos. If you usually use Google Maps, you probably know how useful it is, but if you don’t use it yet, follow along with us in this article where we discuss what Google Maps really is. What. what does it have? And how does it work? And we list the major updates the app received in 2018.
Google Maps provides many services as part of a larger web application. for example –
- A route planner provides directions for drivers, bikers, walkers and users of public transport who wish to travel from one specific place to another.
- The Google Maps Application Program Interface (API) makes it possible for web site administrators to embed Google Maps in a proprietary site such as a real estate guide or community service page.
- Google Maps for Mobile provides a location service for motorists that uses the Global Positioning System (GPS) location of the mobile device (if available) along with data from wireless and cellular networks.
- Google Street View enables users to view and navigate horizontal and vertical panoramic street level images of various cities around the world.
- Supplemental services provide images of the Moon, Mars and the sky for hobby astronomers.
Hidden Features of Google Maps –
- Drag for Alternate Driving Directions
- Get Walking, Cycling, and Public Transit Directions
- Embed Maps on Your Website or Blog
- View Mashups
- Create Your Own Maps
- Get a Map of Traffic Conditions
- See Your Location on a Map Without GPS
- Street View
- Pay for Parking
- Reduce Hard-Braking Incidents
- Spot Busy Areas at a Glance
- Time-Sensitive Recommendations
- Contribute to Google Maps
How to get google maps directions ?
The Google Maps website and apps work to give you directions to and from a place, with details on how long it will take you to get there, what transportation options are available, and estimated arrival times. Can give details of suggested time to go.
- Open the Google Maps app on your iOS or Android device.
- Click on Search here.
- Type your destination in the search field.
- Google Maps provides directions to your current location by default in search. To see Google Directions from a different starting point, tap your location and search for a starting point such as Destination.
- Browse the suggested results and tap on what you’re looking for.
- A map of the location you selected loads at the bottom of the screen with some basic information. Tap Directions.
- Google Maps driving directions are first displayed by default. Tap Steps to read the turn-by-turn directions. This is useful if you are a driver assisted passenger or if you have to proceed to make sure you make the right turn.
- Tap get started to get real-time Google Maps driving directions that will guide you every step of the way.
- If you prefer the public transport option, tap the train icon to see the public transport option. Tap a route to see more details about it, or tap the default departure time to refine your search based on the public transportation you’re currently on, or specify an exact departure or arrival time Tap to. Tap Options to select specific public transportation types and your preferred travel style. When you’re ready to go, tap Start.
- You can also tap the person icon to see Google Maps walking directions. A three-lined icon shows you detailed directions, while the Live View option activates an augmented reality (AR) mode that overlays directions on top of what the camera sees. Tap Start for voice navigation to guide you as you walk.
- Tap the cheer icon to see Google Directions for car services like Uber. Estimated costs and travel times are displayed at the bottom of the Google Maps app. Tap on each company’s logo to compare details. When you’re ready, tap Open App. Tapping Open App opens the corresponding Car app on your smartphone or tablet. If you do not have the appropriate app installed, you are prompted to install it.
- Tap the bicycle icon to see Google Bike Directions for cyclists.
- Tap the airplane icon to get Google directions that includes the flight. If no flight is available, you are presented with a flight not found message. If flights are available, you see the estimated average cost and travel time. Click View flights on Google to open a browser window and compare flights on the Google website.
How to use google map offline ?
To find out you can view maps offline, disable your device’s internet connectivity and try to access your maps without Wi-Fi.
Use Google Maps offline through the steps given below :
- Open Google Maps.
- Tap on the hamburger icon in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Select Offline Maps.
- Tap Downloaded Maps.
- Tap the pencil icon in the upper-right corner to give the map a name.
- Tap Delete to remove the map from your device, or tap Update to renew the map for 30 days.
- Tap on the image of the map to view it. While online you can zoom in on the view as much as you can.
How to search and navigate Google Maps offline ?
You don’t have to do anything unique to utilize your downloaded districts disconnected. Basically search any area inside that area. Indeed, even without an information or Wi-Fi association, it will actually want and you will actually want to explore the region in full with turn-by-turn headings. The main component you are missing is live traffic status and updates.
Manage offline Google Maps regions :
- First open Google Maps.
- Click on your profile picture or initials in the top right
- Click on Offline Maps
- Click the three dots to the right of the area or location you want to manage
- Click Update, Rename, or Delete depending on the changes you want to make
- Currently, Google doesn’t support offline navigation for walking, biking, or transit directions, but they plan to add more offline features in the future.
Other tips for viewing maps offline –
Google Maps isn’t the only one providing offline access. Competing apps like HERE Maps and CoPilot GPS beat them, although the latter requires a paid subscription.