Windows 10 has included a useful cloud clipboard feature that gives you access to the last 25 items you’ve copied, including text and low-resolution images (up to 4MB in size). When you cut or copy something on your computer, it’s automatically copied to the clipboard so that you can copy and paste the item elsewhere. This article explains how to clear the clipboard in Windows 10 as well as how to disable it.
How to Clear the Clipboard in Windows 10?
There are various methods you can use to delete the data currently stored in the clipboard, including using the Command Prompt, shortcuts, and Windows 10 Settings.
Clear Clipboard Using Command Prompt
- Type Command Prompt in the search box and click to open it.
- Now, type the command below into the Command Prompt window, and then press Enter.
Clear Clipboard Using Shortcuts (Notepad)
- Open the start menu and then search for Notepad. Pick the top result to open the Notepad.
- Type these commands into the Notepad:
wmic service where “name like ‘%%cbdhsvc_%%’” call stopservice
wmic service where “name like ‘%%cbdhsvc_%%’” call startservice
- Go to File > Save As.
- Give the file a name with the .bat extension, for example, Clipboard.bat, and then select Save.
- Now, right-click the shortcut you’ve just created and then select Properties.
- Select the Shortcut tab and then select Change Icon.
- Type the path below and press Enter.
- Choose an icon for the shortcut, and then click OK > Apply.
- Double-click the shortcut file to clear the clipboard history.
Clear Clipboard Using Setting
- Navigate to Start menu > Setting > System > Clipboard.
- To clear the clipboard, select Clear.
- To enable or disable this feature, press the Clipboard history slider to the On or Off position.
Clear Clipboard Using Keyboard Shortcut
- Press Windows Key + V on your keyboard.
Note: A small popup window will appear containing the recent items you have copied. If you see a Turn on an option instead, and there’s no clipboard entry listed, you’re not using the modern clipboard experience.
- Select the 3 dots at the top right side of the screen.
- If you want to clear one entry, select Delete.
- If you want to clear the entire clipboard history, select Clear all.
How to clear the Clipboard in Microsoft Excel?
- Open Microsoft Excel
- Select the Home tab at the top-left of the window.
- Click the small dialog box launcher at the bottom-right corner of the Clipboard section.
- Select the Clear All button if you want to delete all of the items.
- To delete an individual clip, hover next to the clip, click the arrow to the right of the clip, and click Delete.
What Clipboard Data Gets Stored?
The clipboard can be used to store data such as text and images. Since the clipboard is shared by all active processes, it can be used to transfer data between them.
How much data can the clipboard store?
The amount of data the clipboard can store depends on how much physical memory (RAM) and configured virtual memory (paging file) is in the computer. The more memory a computer has, the more data you can copy to the clipboard.