Before forwarding towards the topic of this article allow us to know what is drive?
A drive is a computer component used to store data. It may be a static storage device or removable. All drives store nonvolatile data, which means the data is not erased once the power is turned off.
Complete Guide to Know What is C Drive?
C drive is the most important one. C drive, also called system drive or primary drive, that holds critical system data and related files and other applications. If there’s something fishy with the C drive, your pc may not be able to work normally or you may meet frequent system crashes and slow speed.
Let’s Read – Why my Computer is Slow?
How to Find My C Drive?
- Click the Windows “Start” menu and type “Windows Explorer.” Windows Explorer opens. On the left side of the window is an icon named “Local Disk (C).”
- Double-click that icon to view the contents on your “C” drive.
You can do the same things if you have an icon named “My Computer” or “This PC”. Just double-click on this.
Create a Shortcut of the C drive in the Desktop
- Follow the 1 and 2 steps mentioned above
- Right, Click on the Local Disk (C:). You will see many options there.
- At the bottom of the options menu, you will see “Create Shortcut” and “Copy” options. Select any of these options.
- Go to the desktop. Now right-click on an empty place and select “paste as shortcut”.
- A Local Disk (C:) shortcut will be created.
C Drive is Full? Now What
You will notice that there is not enough memory on disk C or that your main disk is full. If this happens, you may encounter some problems.
- The hard disk drive is not able to work as user want. Updation/Installation will not work perfectly.
- Windows operating system will run slowly.
- You will not be able to download or store more files/data.
What are the Basic Reason for C Drive is Full?
- Windows OS, system-related files and settings
- Installed applications, Windows built-in programs, and the downloaded software
- User data, like Documents, Photos, etc., and personal data saved on Desktop or in C drive
Different versions of Windows will show different symptoms in this situation.
Windows XP: It will display the “Low Disk Space” warning like the following picture.
Windows 7/8/10: The local disk will be shown in red color like the following picture.
How to solve “C Drive is Full” Issue in Windows?
- Press Windows + I on the keyboard. This will open the Setting app
- Click on System. Then choose Storage.
- All the drives in PC will be listed. Choose the C drive.
- You will see some categories of the storage based on default folders like Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music etc.
- Click on the categories to see other information.
- You can delete the files that you don’t need. Just click on the view button. It will open the folder location. Just delete it.
Now, go back to storage. Click on the Temporary Files. In there, you will find temporary files, download folders, recycle bin etc. You can delete the files that you don’t need,
Again, go back to storage. Now, click on other. In this section, you will find some folders that couldn’t be categorized. Click on the items that you don’t need and delete them.
3 Solutions for “C Drive Is full” in Windows 11/10/8/7/XP
- Extend C Drive with Partition Manager Software
- Free Up C Drive Disk Space
- Extending C Drive Manually or Add Another Drive
Let’s catch each method in detail –
Method 1: Extend C Drive with Partition Manager Software
User can complete the previous task by using some third-party software like Easeus. This can extend C drive as you wish without losing data.
Enlarging the system drive is only one of its powerful features.
With EaseUS Partition Master, you can manage partitions or disk safely and effectively, For example-
- Merging partitions
- Converting MBR to GPT
Download the Easeus from the official site mentioned above and follow the mentioned below steps to easy out the space in c drive.
- Click “Adjust with 1-Click” to extend C drive.
- When your C drive is out of space, you will see the Low Disk Space alert on EaseUS Partition Master. Click the Adjust button to extend it.
- Click “OK” to extend C drive automatically.
- By clicking “OK”, EaseUS Partition Master will automatically allocate space to your C drive to solve the low space issue.
- Extra Option: You can also click “Manual Adjustment” to extend the C drive manually.
- When turning to Manual Adjustment, select the C drive, and drag dots rightward to add more space to C drive. Click “OK” to confirm.
- Confirm to resolve low disk space in C drive
- Click the “Execute Operation” button at the top corner and start all pending operations by clicking “Apply”.
Method 2: Free Up C Drive Disk Space
Here are 3 ways that you can apply to free up space in the C drive and even the hard disk space:
Way 1: Run Disk Cleanup
Disk Cleanup is a Windows-based tool that you can use to delete certain files to increase disk space with Windows Explorer. Follow these steps to increase disk space on disk C:
- Go to Windows File Explorer.
- Click “This PC”, select on C: drive and select “Properties”.
- In Disk Cleanup, select the files you want to delete and click “OK”.
Way 2: Delete Temporary Files on C Drive
Delete Temporary Files in Windows 11/10/8:
- Press “Windows + I” to open Windows Settings
- Press on “System” and ” Storage”.
- Below “Storage”, select “This PC (C:)” to analyze.
- Click on “Temporary files”.
- Tick on boxes of content you want to remove
- Click on the Remove files button.
Delete Temporary Files in Windows 7
- Go to My Computer, right-click the C drive, and select “Properties”.
- Click the “Disk Cleanup” button in the disk properties window.
- Choose temporary files, Recycle Bin, and other files that you want to delete and click on “OK”.
Way 3: Empty Recycle Bin Regularly
- Go to recycle bin
- Select the files by right-click them, and select “delete”.
Method 3: Extending C Drive Manually
Your C drive is full and D drive has storage left to use. You can merge your D drive with C drive.
- Click on Start and them Computer.
- Click on Manage.
- Click on Disk Management. Now, right-click on the D drive.
- Click Delete Volume.
- Now click on ‘Yes’ on the delete simple volume and Now, click on ‘Extend Volume’ by right-clicking on C drive.
- Now, click on ‘Next’ on the Extend Volume Wizard window.
- Click on next on the Select Disks window.
- Click on Finish. It’s time to close all windows and restart the computer.
The End Line
On this page, we explained that is C drive and its full error. Note that to avoid unnecessary data loss, we always recommend that you back up important files on Drive – to another device. EaseUS Virtual Master is always the best option for the most efficient C partition solution. It’s easy and free.